The qualifications for membership to the Associate Medical Staff (Graduate Medical Trainee) eligibility are as follows:
- Graduates of medical schools in the United States and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the United States accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Graduates of medical schools outside the United States and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications:
- Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) or
- Have a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a U.S. licensing jurisdiction.
- Graduates of medical schools outside the United States who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME‐accredited medical school
- Have a North Carolina Full State License or Resident Training License (RTL). (see: Medical License)
- Official Medical School Transcript with conferred or graduated
- A completed Postgraduate Training Verification Form (if applicable)
- Current ACLS/BLS/PALS certification (see: ACLS/BLS/PALS Certification Policy)
- Proof of identity and US Employment Eligibility (I‐9) via E-Verify (See: I‐9 Form Policy) including SS Card
- Health Record Clearance, which includes drug screening (See: the Drug Testing Policy)
- A signed Agreement of Appointment (Contract)
- The signed Graduate Medical Education Agreement of Appointment; is not effective, and employment will not commence, until all credentialing documents have been received and approved by the Office of GME and all requirements for hire have been satisfied.
- Application for Appointment, which requires:
- 2 Reference forms
- Criminal Background Check (includes EPLS & OIG check)
- National Practitioner Databank check
- ECFMG check (for International Medical Graduates)
- Completion of several payroll forms which include:
- Duke Insurance Beneficiary Form
- Health/Dental/Vision Enrollment Form
- Reimbursement Accounts Enrollment Form (if applicable)
- Acknowledgment Form
- Foreign National Form (if applicable)
- Completion of all required Online Safety Training Modules and GME Learning Modules (See: Online Safety Training Modules and GME Modules) (Completed after Hire)
- USMLE (or equivalent) Transcript
- Document passing scores in the first two parts of appropriate medical licensure examinations (USMLE Step I, Step 2CK and Step 2CS (if applicable), COMLEX, or equivalent Canadian examinations, etc.). After 24 months of post graduate training passing of all three parts of the licensing examinations must be provided.
- This policy applies to all graduate medical trainees whether United States or International Medical School graduates. Programs have the right to impose more stringent requirements, but not less than those contained in this policy. An Agreement of Appointment will not be valid without satisfying this requirement. (*USMLE statement if trainee has not passed Step 3)
- Attend Institutional Orientation
A trainee may begin his/her clinical duties when he/she has met the above GME requirements.
April 18, 2014