The qualifications for membership to the Associate Medical Staff (Graduate Medical Trainee) eligibility are as follows:
- Post doctoral trainees entering appropriate GME training programs must hold PhD (or equivalent) degree. Please see specific ACGME program requirements for PhD degree field.
- Official Post Graduate School transcript with conferred or graduated
- Proof of identity and US Employment Eligibility (I‐9) via E-Verify including SS Card
- Health Record Clearance, which includes drug screening
- A signed Agreement of Appointment (Contract) (PDF) and Duke Health Confidentiality Agreement (PDF)
- The signed Graduate Medical Education Agreement of Appointment; is not effective, and employment will not commence, until all credentialing documents have been received and approved by the Office of GME and all requirements for hire have been satisfied.
- The signed Duke Health Confidentiality Agreement; is not effective, and employment will not commence, until all credentialing documents have been received and approved by the Office of GME and all requirements for hire have been satisfied.
- Application for Appointment, which requires:
- 2 Reference forms (if applicable)
- Criminal Background Check (includes EPLS & OIG check)
- Completion of several payroll forms which include:
- Duke Insurance Beneficiary Form
- Health/Dental/Vision Enrollment Form
- Reimbursement Accounts Enrollment Form (if applicable)
- Acknowledgment Form
- Foreign National Form (if applicable)
- Completion of all required Online Safety Training Modules and GME Learning Modules (Completed after Hire)
- Attend Institutional Orientation
- Selective Service System Registration
All male applicants (as determined by gender assigned at birth for purposes of this requirement) who are US citizens or immigrants must have registered with the Selective Service System within 30 days of their 18th birthday, or arrival date into the USA. Individuals are eligible to register until the age of 26. Failure to register is a violation of federal law, and can face significant penalties, including loss of eligibility for citizenship for immigrants. Individuals who have not registered are not eligible for a variety of benefits including federal student aid, federal job training, and any job in the Executive Branch of the government (e.g. VA, Medicare, federal prisons), and are not allowed to work in federal facilities even as a resident or fellow.
Most Duke GME programs require rotations at federal facilities such as VA hospitals or prisons. All trainees in those programs must be eligible to work at those facilities. All applicants should ensure that they have registered for the Selective Service System if appropriate. If they have not registered, they should discuss this with their potential program director. Additional details can be found at https://www.sss.gov.
A trainee may begin his/her program duties when he/she has met the above GME requirements.