Stipends for Duke GME trainees can be found here:
Duke and Durham has a lower cost of living than the home cities of most other major academic medical centers. Therefore, you can afford a higher standard of living with a comparable stipend. To compare COL in Durham with other cities see: 2023 Cost of Living Calculator (bestplaces.net).
Durham/Duke PGY-1 Stipend: $65,316
||Stipend required for equivalent standard of living
Health Insurance Coverage
403b Retirement Contribution: Effective January 1, 2024 - new this year!
- Eligible after one year of employment and age 21—additional information will be sent to eligible trainees this fall
- Immediate vesting
- 4% contribution (no employee contribution required)
- Complimentary confidential financial counseling appointments with a representative from Fidelity are available
Back-Up Care for Dependents
- 10 annual days of backup care at discounted rates using Bright Horizons' network of caregivers who provide care for your dependents when you have a disruption in your regular care.
- Bright Horizons' center-based care is $15 per child per day or $25 per family.
- Bright Horizons' in-home care for both children and adults is priced at $6 per hour.
Disability and Life Insurance
- Life Insurance- no cost to trainees
- $100K benefit with additional benefit for death/dismemberment—portable upon graduation
- Supplemental life insurance ($500K) for trainees who are required to do air transport in their training
- Base Disability Insurance- no cost to trainees
- 60% of stipend up to $4,000 per month
- Specialty-specific through retirement age
- Convertible to individual policy at graduation
- Supplemental Disability Insurance-optional at discounted rates
- Underwriting concessions, fully portable
- Specialty-specific, discounted rates
- Insurance and financial planning
- Trainees eligible for DUHS parental leave policy (6 weeks paid leave)
- GME-specific policy for medical illness or caregiver leave
- 20 paid vacation days per year
- 8 paid days for acute illness, bereavement
- 2 paid days to schedule medical/dental appointments
Other Important Benefits
- Parking permit in premium deck at no cost to trainee (~$1,400 benefit annually)
- $12 per night meal benefit when on call
- On-campus gym for GME trainees only (renovation in progress)
- Labcoats for all trainees with annual refresh